Apr 18 2013

Character vs. Personality

Published by at 12:36 am under Uncategorized

Character is oftentimes confused with personality, presumably because both character and personality are reflected in a person’s behavior. Someone who has a tendency to respond angrily to stimuli can be said to have an irritable personality as well as bad character. But there is a difference. Personality is something that, from what I understand, does not change much over the course of a lifetime. There are certain qualities we see in children–mental patterns that underlie certain behaviors but do not always dictate them–that continue on into adulthood. These patterns, taken together, constitute personality.

Character, however, is something that is far more alterable. It is something to be “built,” something that can mature over time with work. For this reason, it is common for people to be described as having “good” or “bad” character, but not a “good” or “bad” personality.

2 responses so far

2 Responses to “Character vs. Personality”

1.   Ariel Shapiroon 23 Apr 2013 at 8:04 am

Haha love the comic! You make a great point about the flexibility of the two to changing. I tend to agree with what you are saying, but I think the inflexibility of personality to change may have been overstated. The saying “People don’t change” is common and I believe it is referring to the same thing you are talking about. However, people do have the ability to work on themselves to strengthen certain personality traits while trying to rid themselves of others. Someone who may be greedy might try and work on it over the course their lifetime and can reach a certain level of success in my opinion.

2.   Tracy Engon 24 Apr 2013 at 1:16 am

Love Calvin & Hobbes! You make an interesting point about character being “alterable.” I suppose it does make sense when it comes to someone saying they want to be a “better person.” After reading your post, it seems like personality is linked to reputation and making that good “first impression.” I feel personality is what we ultimately openly show to others, while character is something we spend years on trying to discover ourselves.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS